Well first of all, I forgot I had this blog! I’m a developer not a writer so this was never really at the front of my mind to be honest! Secondly, when I did remember I kind of had a thought that if I have to go each day looking to find something that made me happy, then can I really think of myself as happy? An epiphany moment? Maybe…
So, in the last year I’ve had plenty to be happy with:
- Family life is great. My little boy is growing up fast interacting a lot more and picking up a few words here and there. And dare I say it? My wife is awesome – just don’t let her know I said that!
- Work is good as well. Few interesting projects on the go which should keep me busy for the foreseeable future, colleagues have been rewarding me with chocolate as a ‘thank you’ for helping them out, and got a pay-rise. All good!
- Bimbled off to Scotland for my first solo wild camp. Unnerving at first being in the forest by yourself but you soon get used to it, and you quickly learn that waking to the sound of a chainsaw is down to loggers and not a psychopath.
- Got a couple of new tattoos. First one being ‘Benjamin George’ in Hebrew (‘ בנימין ג’ורג), and the second being a forearm sleeve of a woodland/hammock camping scene. Already looking for inspiration for the next, those things are damned addictive.
- The dog is becoming less destructive… Enough said.
Don’t get me wrong I’ve had a few things in the last year that have put a damper on things, for example my sunset skydive on Day 2 was the last time I’ve jumped due to having a blocked eustachian tube and being grounded by my ENT specialist, but you look past that and just be happy with life in general.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have…